Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ornament at the Smithsonian




Members of the National Society of Decorative Painters (SDP) were asked to paint an ornament for this year's Holiday tree in the Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian. Artists, who are also members of SDP were sent a small 3x5 piece of wood and asked to paint an ornament using one of the paintings in the Renwick Gallery as inspiration. The paintings in the Gallery are canvases done by 19th Century American Artists. I painted and submitted an ornament and it is one of 500 placed on the tree. Probably hard to see but at least I can say I have a painting in the Smithsonian. Wow. I used a painting called The Bride for my inspiration and painted a modern 21st Century bride. I banded the ornament with gold leaf and put traditional decorative artists' roses in the corner. The attached picture is a copy of the Smithsonian picture and my ornament. Of course the copy of The Bride has a big water mark on it because it sat in my studio while I painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment